My Favorite Books

Books I'm Reading

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I Plan to Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I've Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Miami--New York by Martha Gellhorn

This is a story about an air force sergeant on a flight from Miami to New York. Also about a woman who is also on the same flight. They spend the entire trip thinking about what the other one thinks of them. "I wonder what she's sore about, the man thought mildly behind his complicated face." ...
"No doubt he has a splendid little wife waiting for him, the woman thought." They spend the flight together without speaking until she tells him her name "I'm Kate Merlin" (this is after they have kissed etc...)
"How did you know?" the woman said.
"Know what?"
"That you could kiss me?"
The point of the story is the idea that what we think that others think of us is probably not correct.
An all around pretty well written story.

2 comments:

Shersy said...

OK - so I need to get to the Library today and get that book! I'm wondering more and more about these stories!

Shersy said...

I read this one - it was interesting to see how their perceptions and ideas about each other evolved over the course of the story!