My Favorite Books

Books I'm Reading

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I Plan to Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I've Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Sense of Shelter by John Updike

Kari got me a collection of short stories for Christmas which I am just now beginning to read. They are all from John Updike. William Young, also known as Mip, is one of the loners at school. He isn't really friends with anyone but he doesn't seem to mind this either. He claims that "exclusion is itself a form of inclusion." William is madly in love with a girl names Mary Landis. And unlike most students in the high school, William actually feels comfortable at school, as his own home away from home. Unfortunately Mary is tired of school and can't wait to get out. William confesses his love while Mary attempts to deflect any of his feelings as if he were telling jokes. The ending leaves both unsure of their futures

No comments: