My Favorite Books

Books I'm Reading

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I Plan to Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I've Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Fires by Rick Bass

Fires is a great story about a woman named Glenda who tells everyone in a small mountain town that she is a runner training and will only be there for a few months. The descriptions within this story: from hares turning color from white to brown to snowlines disappearing from a valley unto only the highest mountainous regions. I thought that this story had an agenda, but it wasn't until I read the author's notes did it all make sense. Fires is about a character with an internal illness but it is not mentioned in the story. A well written piece.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I just read this short stor for a college english class.

Knew it had an agenda, but couldn't put my finger on it. Good to know.

jason maurer said...

Great story. Where did you find the author's notes? I can find nothing about the deeper meaning of this piece.

Unknown said...

Fires is not about a character with an internal illness. From the same interview:

"But I soon realized that Glenda had no such illness, that her disease, like the narrator's, was simply the primal fear of giving up territory -- of loving and being loved."

@ jason maurer - The Best American Short Stories, 1996