My Favorite Books

Books I'm Reading

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I Plan to Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Books I've Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Little Frogs in a Ditch by Tim Gautreaux

Old man Fontenot has a grandson who has been deserted by his parents. He (the grandson) schemes up a way to make money off of people selling homing pigeons to them. Old man Fontenot is embarrassed that his grandson would stoop so low as to sell stupid birds to innocent people. He wants his grandson to go and make a confession. '"Remember what Sister Florita told you one time in catechism class? If you close your eyes before you go to confession, your sins will make a noise."
Lenny closed his eyes. "A noise."
"They'll cry out like little frogs in a ditch at sundown."
"Sure," Lenny said with a laugh, his eyeballs shifting under the closed lids. "Well, I don't hear nothing." He opened his eyes and looked at the old man. "What's the point of me confessing if I don't hear nothing?"
His grandfather stood up with a groan. "Keep listening," he said.
This is another one of Tim Gautreaux's great stories.

No comments: